Matching Christmas food & wine - Desserts
Tips for matching Christmas food with wine - and practical suggestions - Part 2
I cover in two separate blog posts a) main courses typically served at Christmas and suggestions for suitable wines and b) guidance on wines to serve with starters, brunch dishes and party food typically eaten at Christmas. There are no hard and fast rules for wine at this time of year as we tend to eat such a wide range of foods that it is difficult to find wines to complement all of the different flavours. The main aim in general should be to match the weight of the dish with the body of the wine.
In this blog post I give some suggestions for wines that will complement seasonal desserts and cheese. Firstly, desserts...
When pairing desserts & wine ...
- a sparkling Moscato d'Asti, slightly sweet yet really refreshing so a great match for a rich dessert
Mince pies & Christmas cake
- For mince pies and any spicy or nutty cake a tawny port works really well with the dried fruits and nuts
- Prosecco is the classic partner for this Italian Christmas speciality
Trifle & creamy desserts
- Trifle and other creamy and fruity desserts will also benefit from a sweet sparkling Moscato d'Asti but if you really don't like sweeter wine, try something like this Crémant de Bourgogne Rosé which is fruity and creamy and could stand up to all the cream of the trifle
- For rich chocolate desserts, again the sparkling Moscato d'Asti would be great, as would a ruby port or a vin doux naturel.
And of course there is always sweet Sauternes which will pair well with most desserts and with blue cheeses like Roquefort (and with foie gras for those with a preference for more savoury dishes).
Cheese & Wine
Matching cheese and wine should be the subject of a whole new blog given the vast range of different cheeses so I will keep it simple for this blog:
You may be surprised that white wines feature prominently in this section but white wine doesn't have the tannins that clash with the saltiness of many cheeses. And if you have switched back to white after red, you may be surprised how white wine can cleanse the palate.
My Christmas mixed cases include several of the wines suggested in Parts 1, 2 & 3 of this blog. If you want help putting together a mixed case of your own, please feel free to call me on 0333 772 0301 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Did you know that 50% of my lovely customers prefer the direct approach and order by phone or email rather than via the website?
Lindsay Cornelissen DipWSET is passionate about good quality wine and set up Wines With Attitude to share that passion with other wine lovers.