TWR ~ Te Whare Ra ~ Sauvignon Blanc 2017

TWR ~ Te Whare Ra ~ Sauvignon Blanc 2017
£15.75 / bottle£179.55 / case (12 bottles)

Need Help?

Can’t decide which wine is right for you? Please call us so we can help.
0333 772 0301

Country: New Zealand
Region: Marlborough
Wine Types: White Wines
Wine Types: Vegan Wine
Grapes: Sauvignon Blanc
Style: Crisp Light Whites
Drink: now to 2022
Oaked
Screwcap
ABV: 13.5%
Organic

Tasting Notes

The story

This wine is pure TWR - that is to say it is produced by the amazing Te Whare Ra Winery, a small, family-run vineyard and winery although 79% of the fruit for this Sauvignon Blanc comes from the Trelawne Farm vineyard in Awatere; the remaining 21% is from the TWR's Renwick vineyards which are certified organic. Though Trelawne Farm vineyards are not certified organic they are cared for according to organic principles according to TWR's own environmentally friendly and sustainable principles.
 

The Wine

I agree with Anna Flowerday's comment that this is "a Sauvignon Blanc for people who think they don't like Sauvignon Blanc". It's not the tropical fruit, Cloudy Bay style but a much fresher, more subtle style - very citrussy with lemon and lime on the nose and palate and notes of elderflower and gooseberry and just a hint of something more tropical in the background. The lemon and lime flavours on the palate are round rather than sharp which make this a very smooth wine with just the right amount of acidity to make this a very balanced and pretty sophisticated wine.

Food Pairing

Recommended with fish, shellfish, chicken, pork and roast ham. It will stand up to richer dishes better than some other white wines.

Producer's Notes

"... a blend from two special Marlborough vineyards in two different sub-regions... the upper Awatere Valley and Renwick (Wairau Valley)... We truly believe that to coax the best from Sauvignon it really does need to get some love and attention...

... distinctive Awatere characters of guava, white currant and elderflower coupled with lovely ripe tropicals and hints of basil and lime from the Wairau fruit. These follow through to the palate - which is fine and soft with vibrant fleshy fruit and great texture which are both balanced by a ripe, juicy acidity and lingering minerality. It is utterly delicious!"

Awards

18.5- points     Raymond Chan     Jul 2018
"Bright straw-yellow colour with green-gold tints and some depth, lighter on the rim. This has a rounded and well-concentrated nose with an amalgam of gooseberry fruit and green stonefruits, along with subtle passionfruit notes, unfolding greengages and nectarines. Fresh herbs, nettles, cut-grass and floral elements emerge with aeration. Dry to taste and medium-bodied, the palate has rich, luscious and juicy, mouthwatering flavours of gooseberries, entwined with green stonefruits, unfolding some passionfruit, fresh herb and nettle notes. The fruit forms a gently concentrated, rounded heart with good presence, along with fresh, lacy, thirst-quenching acidity which enlivens the mouthfeel. The wine carries with energy along a fine line, leading to an elegant finish. This is a rich, luscious, mouthwatering oak-influenced Sauvignon Blanc, with gooseberry, stonefruit and herb flavours on a fine, flowing palate."


Winery of the Year 2014     Raymond Chan     Dec 2014
"... the Flowerdays represent the modern and young face of winegrowing in New Zealand, making a range of beautifully elegant, exceptionally high quality wines, with the greatest respect for the environment from which the fruit is obtained.

I’ve come across very few winegrowers and winemakers who give so much thought to every aspect of the vineyard, winery, winemaking, how their wines show in stylistic and quality terms, and how the wines are presented in the marketplace, as Jason and Anna. This reflects their passion, enthusiasm, extremely high standards, hard work and attention to detail in creating and crafting wines that reflect their vineyard and region, and their guiding the wines sensitively so that they are expressed with great finesse. At present, New Zealand wines are generally enjoyed for their strong and distinctively clear fruit flavours. It is apparent that our industry must progress towards producing wines which are more refined, subtly complex and textured with the ability to develop, so as to appeal to the increasing and maturing fine wine drinkers of the world. The Te Whare Ra wines are at the forefront of this movement in this country."

A concentrated and refined Sauvignon Blanc , not the typical tropical fruit style of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc; This wine was described by winemaker Anna Flowerday as a Sauvignon Blanc for people who think they don't like Sauvignon Blanc. Not too in your face but quite a fresh and subtle style

Customer Reviews

0 Reviews
Loading Reviews Please Wait
You need a customer account to review wine login or create an account here

Contact Us